Hey Gemmers, Firstly, I gotta say Happy New Month, March is gonna be awesome! it’s Monday again so here’s your weekly dose of #MondayMotivation vitamins. Let's goo!
At the beginning, you were so happy you told people about your dreams and goals, people were happy for you as well. Now you start on this journey full of hope, life and enthusiasm but as time passed by your will started to wane. You skipped that one time, you said you’ll make it up and you did. But then next week you skipped again and this time you didn’t make it up. You just let it slide like you was on a children’s playground. Then due to whatever reasons you’re back on your shit like you never stopped. This time you even work harder, results are coming in, you gain more momentum and keep going and then boom! It stops! Things aren’t going as you hoped anymore so you’re giving up, how sad.
You used to be a river flowing but too bad your currents led you into a lake so now you’re stagnant. You used to dream of climbing to the top of the mountain, when u got there you met a plateau...not exactly the glorious peak you were expecting. So now you’re stuck. It feels like you’ve put the appropriate coins into the vending machine but nothing’s coming out. You feel like you’ve plateaued the once rising star is just on the same level, not going up or coming down. You feel stagnant the once free and vibrant river is just a lake now, going nowhere, you feel confined and you can’t come out. DO NOT BE DISMAYED BECAUSE...
“Feeling stuck issa BLESSING. The world is telling you that IT’S TIME FOR CHANGE”.
HOW TO GET UNSTUCK
1. Understand it’s a feeling not fact: Just like opinions, feelings are not facts. You can feel stuck but in reality you’re not. You might feel you’re not going any higher because horizontal growth is not manifesting such as amassing wealth. Actually, when you look deep you might be experiencing vertical growth which is the more significant growth such as developing a better character, being a better listener etc. if we compare it to a tree then horizontal growth would be the branches while vertical growth would be the height of the tree. You’re better off when you grow horizontally and vertically. So, when you feel you’ve plateaued look inside, be objective and if you don’t feel a bit satisfied then onto the next!
2. Prayer: Prayer is a way to communicate to God. Prayer has often gotten me out of sticky situations that I didn’t know how to come out of. You can’t do everything yourself so sometimes you just have to say ‘Fix it Jesus’ or as the popular hymn What A Friend We Have in Jesus by Alan Jackson puts it ‘is there trouble anywhere? We should never be discouraged...are we weak and heavy-laden, cumbered with a load of care?...take it to the Lord in prayer’. It’s important to remember though that ‘faith without works is dead’ James 2:20. It’s like trying to drive your car without fuel or a steering wheel. Don’t mind me sometimes I get preachy.
3. Work smarter: We often hear that working hard is the way to success but this isn’t always the case cos we know some people who work super hard but are going nowhere. Working smarter will get you farther. It’s like using tractor to farm rather than using a hoe or any other simple farm tool. So basically, go back to the drawing board, re-strategize, change your perspective, if you’ve been solo get a partner etc.
4. Change your perspective: Perspective are the lens through which we see life. Some of us have broken lenses but either haven’t realised it or are reluctant to change them. Are you seeing things from a burrowing rabbit’s perspective or a soaring eagle’s one or sheep on the ground? It’s time to change perspective, try other points of view, change your lens or perhaps invite fresh eyes such as a coach, mentor, a listening friend etc. basically, just switch it up.
5. Switch it up: Humans get used to stuff that’s how we are. For example, if you keep doing the same workout routine for too long it becomes less effective. Another example would be, say you’re having relationship issues maybe it’s too boring your therapist will probably advice you to switch it up. It could be changing your morning routine, a small habit, your location, your social circle or something more exciting. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a drastic change cos that could lead to withdrawal syndrome. Albert Einstein said doing the same thing constantly and expecting the same result is insanity. Sometimes you just need a challenge.
6. You’ve got the power: Just like a good James Bond movie when you’re stuck remember that you have the power to free yourself. It’s really up to you. Don’t let the opinions of others even further cage you in. you should start with your thoughts free yourself of negative thoughts and then take appropriate action. You control your own destiny so you can determine how long you wanna stay stuck. You just have to do SOMETHING cos that’s better than NOTHING. It’s best to do something you’ve been wanting to do but afraid of, I know it’s a risk…ARE YOU WILLING TO TAKE IT?
7. Quit Overthinking: I know quitters never win but there are cases where quitting is doing yourself a huge favour. Just let go, be free like a bird, overthinking is bad for your health and it gets you nowhere. It’s just you concocting different thoughts and making multiple assumptions and playing the blame game. Overthinking is like having too many cooks and we know that they ‘spoil the broth’. ‘Whatever happens, happens. Just relax. You cannot control everything, so you need to learn to just let go of some things. You may be feeling stuck because you are always in your own head, worrying and obsessing’.
8. Expression: Freedom of expression is one of the main tenets of human rights. When you feel stuck just express yourself fully, it could be through writing like I do sometimes, music (pretty sure you can be a millionaire that way), acting or even just recording videos of you saying what’s on your mind like a Facebook status update, it’s your choice to upload it or not, I usually don’t. Most effectively in my opinion would be confiding in a loved one. Sometimes you know the solution to your problem you just need to hear yourself say it. They say a problem shared is a problem half solved; I implore you to be expressive but in a way that will help not mar you.
9. Let the past be: Trying to move forward but constantly living in the past is like walking with heavy ass ankle-weights, sure you can move forward but you’d be competing with snails and tortoises. You probably feel you’ve plateaued or are stagnant cos you’re comparing it to your ‘better past’. I know I’ve been there more times than I care to admit but just know there’s nothing in the past that can compare to a better life in the future and it’s up to you to make it real. So, stop channelling your energy to the past, convert that energy to your future. Apply the first law of thermodynamics which states that [I’m paraphrasing] ‘energy cannot be created or destroyed only converted from one form to another’ convert wisely.
10. Understand it’s part of the process: Just like anything in life, there are high points and low points and levelled points where not much seems to be going on. You just have to keep doing what you’re doing. When we grow there’s points where it’s obvious we’ve shot up and times where it seems like there’s inactivity only to shoot up again.
Note: Most of the tips are quite similar but I believe they're effective nonetheless. Feeling stuck is just a part of life just like problems or solutions. Just remember it’s gonna be alright, you will make it through. Everything lives in moments.
QOTD: Being stuck is like being in quicksand the more you struggle the more you sink – Henri Juntilla. ‘But if you do know that the only way out of quicksand is to stop panicking, to lie on your back and to drag your feet out, the obstacle can be overcome’ - Steve Mueller.
Please follow us on Twitter and Instagram and take our Survey so we can serve you better.
Please Like, Comment, Share and Subscribe for updates thank you.
More importantly, please Like our Facebook page for some exclusive content.
See ya next Monday.
Previous post: 12 Tips to Boost Self-confidence and Self-esteem.
Next post: 9 Ways to Tackle Overthinking
My name is Ofai and I'm passionate about blogging and it gives me fulfillment that I can help you out so sit back, relax and enjoy your weekly carats of #SelfImprovementGems with me!